In the winter months your body and voice have to work a little harder to fight the cold, dry air and grey weather. Let’s face it, it’s easier to get sick or be blue. And if you are one of those people who suffer from seasonal colds and flus and or SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), listen up. I also find that people have more stress over the holidays as they gather with family where there is more emotional stress. Stress is often the extra push over the line that ends you up in bed. These 7 steps are a quick guide to stay healthier, happier and stress-free during this season and take care of your voice in the winter.
Here are my: 7 Steps to Beat the Winter Blues and Flus:
1. Eat Healthier.
You don’t have to go to extremes to be healthier. It’s best to go in stages. Start with this and you’ll be doing your body a huge favor:
- Add a daily fresh vegetable juice. This is a powerhouse of concentrated nutrients that goes directly into your system.
- Add a fresh green salad to your daily menu. Fresh greens are living food with a higher nutrient content. Plus, they help your system develop more enzymes to naturally assimilate nutrition more effectively (improving overall health!).
Ready to go to the next level?
- Ditch dairy. The consumption of milk and products made of milk has been linked to heart disease, stroke, bone disease, cancer, diabetes, bowel irritation, precocious puberty and even acne. This is not some kooky theory. The problems associated with dairy and milk consumption are now being recognized in the mainstream media. If you want to know more about why milk and dairy are bad for you and the problems they cause, please click on the following links:
- Ditch sugar. Sugar is the cause of many illnesses and lowers your immune system dramatically among many other things. Quitting sugar changes lives.
2. Extra Nutrition.
Truth is because of soil depletion, we get less nutrients from our food than we used to. I take up to 30-40 supplements a day depending on what I’m working on and feel I need (sounds like a lot, but 20 of them are chlorella tablets for that extra oxygen).
- Supplements: Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin’s C and D are the top 3 to start with. I recommend Vitamin Code whole food supplements for the B Complex and Vit C and DaVinci for liquid Vit D.
- Daily dose of garlic. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and blood cleanser and will assist your body with fighting infection. I have at least 2 cloves of garlic per day in my green juice (with some ginger mixed in to balance the taste and odor).
3. Practice Better Hygiene.
This sounds like common sense, but it’s something you have to practice. Not everyone thinks of it, but the better hygiene you have the less you get sick. The more dirt on your body, the more you lower your immune as it has to fight it off.
- Shower Your Insides. 8 glasses of 8 oz of filtered, alkaline or distilled water every day not only hydrates you, but it keeps you clean on the inside.
- Clean your smartphone and laptop keyboards daily. Plain and simple. Use a natural cleaner like Meyer’s Lemon multi-surface cleanser or a lightly moist cloth with lemon and water.
- Wash Your Hands. The simplest way to have better hygiene. Think of the gazillion things your hands touch every day. Doorknobs, money, your phone, computer, people’s hands, etc. Oh and ditch those antibacterial wipes and soaps – they do more damage than good.
- Keep Your Throat and Nose Clean. Use Vocal Eze Throat spray and gargle with mouthwash daily.
- Wash your toothbrush. Most people forget this one. It’s easy to reinfect yourself and stay sick longer when you forget to wash your toothbrush. Just throw it in the dishwasher or soak it in a bowl of hot water and dish soap for 10 minutes – then rinse thoroughly.)
- Use antibacterial lozenges and wipes in public places: OnGuard (also did you know that rubbing your hands together or on your jeans remove bacteria and is the same action as washing them?).
4. Boost Your Immune System:
- Add daily supplements that boost your immune system. Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and a good multi are non-negotiable.
- Organic Elderberry syrup. The minute I sense anything coming on I start taking a TB of this syrup every day. It immediately boosts your immune. Far more powerful than Echinacea.
- A daily 2 oz shot of wheatgrass. This right here is the most powerful thing you could do in this entire list. But caution, go slowly. Start with 1 oz and work your way up to 2 oz. Sip it and keep it under your tongue for 1 minute before swallowing to get more of the benefits. Wheatgrass is nature’s most powerful medicine.
5. Clean out your Lymph Glands.
You won’t get away with not cleaning out your lymph glands during rougher seasons. Here’s how:
- Use an herbal formula to assist your lymph in cleansing like Sunrider’s Fortune Delight 3 gram packets. I use 2 daily during the winter to stay clean!
- Infrared Sauna. Infrared saunas are a great way to detoxify without the heat of a regular sauna. Their temperatures are lower allowing you to stay in longer and reap the benefits of using a sauna. Help your body to detoxify chemicals and toxins that are slowing your health down by sweating through your skin. Your skin is your largest organ. Sweat away baby!
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage – rocks! If you’re in New York go to Provence Wellness Center and ask for Maria to do your massage. She’ll use these new-fangled wands that are miraculous!!
6. Make the Music YOU Want to Hear.
There is such a thing as working out smarter and healthier. Use strength training (weights) to make your muscles stronger and burn fat, cardio to strengthen your lungs and cardiovascular system and do yoga to clean out your body and keep it healthier. Oh and don’t forget to wash your hands immediately upon leaving the gym (or rub your hands together to shed germs and dirt.)
7. Detoxify Gently and More Effectively.
Don’t fall prey to the latest cleansing trends of the master cleanse. With the advent of hundreds of chemicals in our foods, air and water now, most of you are way too toxic to do a cleanse like that and reap the benefits. All you are doing is dumping chemicals and toxins into your bloodstream and will end up with headaches, stomach aches and flu-like symptoms. Best to gradually detox the smart way with this simple daily plan.
- Lemon water until 8-9 am
- 8-9 am: Almond milk with powdered greens, 2 TB chia, flax and hemp seeds and a 3 gram packet or two Fortune Delight.
- 10 am: Green Veggie Juice. Celery, cucumber, kale, romaine, sunflower sprouts, ginger and garlic. Add cilantro, apple or pineapple for taste.
Do this routine Mon – Friday and then give yourself free rein on the weekends. You’ll notice more energy and a stronger immune (without the headaches and stomach aches of extreme fasting). Hope this helps you rock your health! Share your health secrets in the comments below – You know I love to hear from you!